Resolving concerns and complaints

The OPG encourages feedback about guardianship matters and other concerns.

How do I make a complaint?

If you have a concern about your contact (the actions or a decision) with the Office of the Public Guardian or a staff member, you have the right to tell us. Please give us a call to talk about it. If you then wish to make a complaint you can do so by:

  • Writing us a letter or email
  • Calling the office
  • Making an appointment to see us

Information we need

Please include as much information as possible to help us understand the issues, like:

  • What happened
  • Who was involved
  • When and where it happened
  • What outcome you would like

It is best to make a formal complaint in writing if possible. If you are unable to write to us, you can ask our staff to help you. You can also make an appointment at our office to tell the Public Guardian or a Senior Guardian about your concern.

If your concern is about a decision made by a guardian, see the Reviewing a Guardian’s Decision fact sheet.

What happens next?

The Public Guardian will:

  • Let you know they have received your complaint
  • Provide a timeframe for a response to your complaint.
  • Identify the issues and gather more information if needed
  • Decide what action to take
  • Decide if your complaint is upheld, partially upheld or whether it is dismissed

The Public Guardian will then write to you to tell you the outcome of your complaint. If the complaint is upheld or partially upheld, you will also be told about any actions that will be taken including any changes to our processes.

What if I still feel the issue hasn’t been resolved?

If you are still concerned at the end of the complaints process, you can contact the Tasmanian Ombudsman on 1800 001 170.

Can I get support to raise my concerns?

If you need someone to help you speak to your Guardian or the OPG, you might wish to ask an advocate to help you such as Advocacy Tasmania or Speak Out Advocacy

Updated: 2nd August 2022