Tasmanian Government Logo
Link to the Tas government site

After-Hours Emergency Procedures

If you have a guardianship order:

If you are in a crisis situation, you or a friend or family member should contact emergency services on 000 for the police or ambulance, or go to the emergency department at your nearest hospital.

*  For emergency accommodation contact Housing Connect on 1800 800 588.
*  For crisis support, including concerns about suicide, contact Lifeline on 131114

For Service Providers:

The Office of the Public Guardian provides an emergency after-hours service to government and non-government services, such as hospitals, the Police, residential facilities and support providers.

This service operates from 5.00pm to 11.00pm on weekdays and from 8.00am to 11.00pm on weekends and public holidays.

This service is limited to urgent matters only, which cannot wait for action on the next business day. Urgent matters may arise regarding 1) an existing represented person; or 2) a potential new emergency guardianship order.

The number to call out of hours is 6165 6767.

In relation to an existing represented person “urgent” means that a substitute decision is required by the guardian immediately.  If a decision can wait until the next business day, your contact with the Office of the Public Guardian should be deferred until then.   Notification of an injury or even the death of a represented person does not warrant after hours action, unless there is an associated decision required by a guardian urgently.

In rare circumstances a new emergency order may be required out of hours.  In such cases, you should make contact with the Office of the Public Guardian via our after-hours telephone service, on 6165 6767.  Your call will be directed to the on-call guardian who will consider the circumstances and explore with you whether there are any alternatives to seeking an emergency order.

The following circumstances may not require an emergency guardianship order:
  • Urgent medical treatment – may be provided without consent under s40 of the Guardianship and Administration Act 1995
  • Medical treatment to which the patient is not objecting and where there is no person responsible – may be provided without consent under s41 of the Act
  • Keeping a person in hospital or another facility for their safety, contrary to the person’s wishes – the facility may be able to rely on their duty of care to avert a crisis or harm coming to the person
  • Removing a person who is posing a threat to the health, safety or well-being of a person with a disability – may be undertaken on the authority of the facility relying on their duty of care to avert a crisis or harm coming to the person
  • Police action to initiate a welfare check, locate a missing person or take other protective action
If, after considering all the circumstances, it appears that an emergency order is warranted, the matter will be referred to a member of the Guardianship and Administration Board for determination. You will need to:
What happens next?
  • the on-call guardian will make contact with a Board member who will determine the matter
  • the guardian will contact you to advise of the Board’s decision
  • if an order is made, the guardian will provide you with a copy
  • the guardian will then consider and make any urgent decisions required.

Emergency administration orders will not need to be made out-of-hours: The Public Trustee is unable to take any urgent action outside normal business hours as financial institutions are not available.